Monday, October 3, 2011

Ruby's dream

This was published a year ago on Ruby's blog, and she will like to share it with you all.
--
Yes, Dr. King had a wonderful dream also which fortunately is coming true! But the dream I'm talking about is different. My dream is for every girl and woman to always look at the mirror and love what they see no matter their size, complexion, etc. 


I just got off the phone with my friend, and we were having a regular conversation while I had just finished eating a late dinner, and he asked me what I was doing. I told him that I was about to have some ice cream for dessert and he said that I shouldn't, and I asked him why, and he told me that I'll get fat. I wasn't upset by his comment, but just replied to him that I'm okay with that and that there's nothing wrong with that. He responded saying that "Well you'll be big and lose your figure and have a big butt." Honestly, the things he said in no way sounded bad to me at all, because being curvaceous is absolutely gorgeous in my standards, and I really do not see the bad in having a big butt. I come from a continent (Africa) that having curves and a big butt is a hott commodity, so I told him that his comments rather make me motivated to eat more rather than isolating myself from having such a creamy delight (Dane Cook fans will get that joke). I find it intriguing that in Western cultures that the norm of girls or women's beauty is "thin, tall and medium-sized breasts" whereby in Africa, beauty can be fat, voluptuous, curvaceous, thin and so much more variety. In fact, some women are insulted if told they look thin because it is sometimes assumed that they are hungry and malnourished. As much as it may sound like a myth to the Western world, fat is beautiful, respected and powerful in Africa, and I am sure that there are other places like that out there.


So now that I've given you some background, back to my dream. I dream of the day that ALL girls and women would really and truly love their bodies. Stand naked in front of the mirror and take a great look at themselves and see their outer beauty, embrace each and every curve, muffin top, stretch marks, wrinkle, etc. In the movie, Phat Girlz with Mo'Nique, I loved the scene where Mo'Nique's character did such a thing in front of the mirror. I want girls and women to be cautious of food for the purpose of being healthy and fit and not for the purpose of looking like a so-called model or actress. In my opinion, it does not make sense when some girls and women say that "Oh I'm on a diet because I want to look like this woman or that girl and that they are so thin and beautiful." In a statement like that there's a right and wrong involved. The right is, being thin is beautiful and hott. But the wrong is that being thin is not the ultimate definition of beauty, fat is also beautiful, hott, sexy, gorgeous, and whatever synonyms there are out there. I googled beautiful while writing this entry and the first about four or five pages that came up were of several thin women and there was no variety whatsoever in the looks of the women, just many women with thin waists and big plastic surgery breasts. I'm supportive of plastic surgery (reconstructive that is) but I believe that cosmetic plastic surgery wouldn't be existent if society was more indulging to variety in women's bodies and not have one idealized beauty.

Society must come to realize that they cannot conceptualize girls and women's bodies and that everyone does not look the same and SHOULD NOT look the same. I appreciate diversity in women's bodies and it's a pity that there are so many pressures on women and girls in society whereby they are constantly scrutinized for not having "the body." Honestly, the world would be boring as heck if we all looked the same, and this is why I believe that first every woman and girl must love what they look like and whenever they look at the mirror their comment should be "Dang, I look good and I feel amazing!!!" no matter how big or small they are, because what really should matter is their health and fitness.

It really baffles me when a girl or woman is complimented for being skinny, she completely lights up but when she's told she looks fat, oh my goodness darkness and disappointment is read all over her face. When told they are fat, some even feel on themselves to start making excuses such as "Yea, it's coz I'm on my period"..."Yea this dress makes me look fat," ... "Yea it's coz I just ate" etc. Well news flash, you're supposed to eat everyday and not just one meal a day...also as a woman, period is part of our anatomy, so do not blame it on that...and don't blame it on a dress, because it only accentuates what it's on, which is your gorgeous fat body. Also, I believe that society (men and boys and also women) must not criticize other women and girls for what they look like, and the created norm (thin or skinny) of beauty must vanish.


So, I have a dream that one day every girl and woman would appreciate their big or small thighs, big or small hips, big or small breasts, big or small arms, short or long legs and other big or small parts that make up the human body. I want every woman to look into the mirror every day, take a look at themselves from head to toe, put on a great smile and blow themselves a kiss.


No comments:

Post a Comment